Saturday, March 26, 2011

Wildcats! Wildcats! Wildcats!

As the Commissioner, I have certain rights and privileges. So, yesterday, I called John Calipari (Kentucky Head Coach) to cash in a favor. He was so moved by request that he placed me on speaker phone and allowed me to give the pre-game pep talk to his Wildcats. I explained to these young men that “Sometimes you have to play for reasons that go beyond personal success. Sometimes, you have to play for reasons that have nothing to do with your teammates and coaches. Sometimes you are playing for reasons that go beyond your lengthy school tradition, the students, the faculty, your parents, the kids who look up to you… Sometimes you have to play to be bracket busters! Today I call on you for such an occasion. I need for you to upset The Ohio State Buckeyes. I need for you to completely unravel the Graves Family Pool!” At that point the locker room went ballistic! I lead them in a rendition of “On! On! U of K” (the Kentucky fight song) and then I let them complete their final preparations for the game. I don’t need to tell you how it ended…the Wildcats sent the Buckeyes home. It was a beautiful sight.

As I mentioned yesterday, as the Buckeyes go, so goes Doris Smith0722. With the Buckeye loss, Doris Smith0722 now sits on shakey ground. No longer is she the “soon-to-be-champion.” Yes, she can score points with a Florida victory tonight…and Kansas winning will help her cause…but that’s when her tank runs dry. Things are starting to look bleak for the 2007 Champion. Bleak indeed. Unless…dare I say it? Virginia Commonwealth. I’ll come back to them. :-)

bone.graves currently finds himself in 2nd place. Good job, Bone. Of course he’s looking for victories from North Carolina and Butler tonight…but that will be all she wrote for him. No more possible points after tonight. bone.graves, you fought the good fight…but it’s not looking good. Unless…no, I shouldn’t say it… Virginia Commonwealth?

The Traveling Diva is sitting pretty. She’s comfortably sitting in a tie for 3rd place with me (The Commissioner) and Brandon the Beast. The difference between the three of us is that she has Kansas winning the championship. So, she is hopeful that UConn wins today (for additional points) and then she’s looking for the Jayhawks can carry her through to become the 2011 Graves Family Pool Champion. Who does Kansas play? Oh yeah…Virginia Commonwealth. Hummmmmmm…

Brandon the Beast will score points if Kansas continues to wins…but he will not be able to pass his mother, the Traveling Diva. Good try, Beast. Good try. Others hoping for points from Kansas will be NC Big Ticket’s Dad and Tamieka G-Low End. Neither of these guys can win the pool but they can finish with respectable rankings.

Yep, The Commissioner’s tank has just about run dry. Currently sitting in 3rd (my lowest ranking of the tournament…fyi) I can only score points with victories from Kansas. Unfortunately, Kansas winning helps my opponents as well. Which is why I am willing to sacrifice my future points…just like last night’s Ohio State debacle. Yes, I selected OSU but wasn’t it much more interesting to see Kentucky win? :-) The outcome of our pool becomes much more interesting if Kansas falls. Can you say..."Virginia Commonwealth?"

Jodi (currently in 8th) and kgraves766 1 are others hoping for Kansas victories. If Kansas holds on, Jodi will have made one of the greatest comebacks in the history of the Graves Family Pool. Just a few days ago, she was sitting in 24th…today, 8th…and with a couple of Kansas victories, (she won’t win but...) she could finish near the top. (Hey Comeback Kid…this is what a comeback looks like.) Unfortunately, I am not hoping to see her finish near the top. Come on Virginia Commonwealth!!!

So, needless to say, I'll be putting in a call to Shaka Smart (Head Coach at VCU). Sorry Traveling Diva, Jodi and kgraves766 1…I just can’t give up that easy.

VCU Facts:

Name: Virginia Commonwealth University

Nickname: Rams

Mascot: Rodney the Ram

Colors: Black and Gold

Enrollment 32,000 students

Location: Richmond, Virginia (2 Campuses)

Conference: Colonial Athletic Association

Conference Regular Season Championships: 9

Conference Tournament Championships: 7

NCAA Tournament Appearances: 10

NCAA Tournament Round of 32: 6

NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen: 1

NCAA Tournament Elite Eight: 1

Number of times defeating a No. 1 Seed to move on to the Final Four: 0

Come on VCU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Rams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Side note - - Yes, I see you Wisemen. Nice move from 26th to 11th. A little late…but nice move. Also, if UConn, Florida and and UNC move on, Corbin can make a serious play for the title. He has UNC winning the championship. If this happens, Corbin could be the champ. Stay tuned.)

The Commissioner!

No comments: